Warm Weather Means More Outdoor Fun… and More Fleas & Ticks
While fleas and ticks are a year-round threat, they are most prevalent during the summer months because they thrive in warm weather and high humidity. Protect your pets this summer! Your yard and home may be a desirable habitat for these insects and arachnids without you even knowing. It’s important to have a multi-pronged approach to protecting your pets and your home from these pesky pests as they bring the threat of disease to both you and your pet!
Here are a few things you can do:
ON YOUR PETS and INSIDE YOUR HOME
- Keep your pet clean and well-groomed.
- Launder pet bedding routinely.
- Use ﬂea and tick preventive medication. For best results, these preventive medications should be used year-round. VetIQ Petcare provides the protection your pet needs. Stop in today to learn more about flea and tick prevention for your pet.
OUTSIDE YOUR HOME
- Keep your grass trimmed.
- Remove leaves and other debris routinely.
- Seal off crawl spaces and remove access to sheds and containers that may serve as habitats for wildlife that could bring fleas and ticks onto your property.
- Trim bushes and trees with low-hanging branches to reduce shaded areas.
- Consider treating your yard with an outdoor ﬂea treatment. Place a higher focus on treating shaded areas as these are prime spots for fleas and ticks.
It only takes a few weeks for a flea or tick infestation to develop in or around your home. Once an infestation occurs, it can take up to several months to clear up. That’s why a comprehensive flea and tick prevention program is important to implement year-round and involves treating both your pets and your home environment.